- The Novice level violin course is designed to educate all our learners about the rudiments in violin playing, fundamental playing techniques and musical knowledge.
- The student is introduced for the first time to the world of violin playing.
- The student learns how to play the instrument step-by-step along with the tutor’s demonstration and corrections.
Overview of NOVICE level:
- Total Duration: 40 – 48 sessions
- Age – 8 years and above
- Size: Up to 2 students
- Session Duration: 45 – 50 Minutes
- Schedule: Once A Week
Prerequisites to join the course
- The learner should be preferably 8 years and above.
- Willingness and an interest to learn the violin.
Tools, software and material needed:
- Zoom Software
- An acoustic violin,
- Shoulder pad
- Music notation stand
- Musical Manuscript
- Armless chair/stool for seating
1. Theory: Rudiments of music
- Stave, Clef, bar, double bar,
- Notes, Sharps and Flats,
- Time signature,
- Repetition mark, DC al Fine
- First and Second endings
2. Practical - Part – A
- Knowing the Parts of the violin and the bow & Tuning the violin
- Violin hold and bow hold
- Open string exercises
- String crossing
- Notes and rests (Whole, half, quarter, eighth and dotted notes)
- Bow handling – Down bow, up bow, bow lift, slurs and ties
- Scales and Arpeggios – (1) – D Major (ascending and descending)
2. Practical - Part – B
- Using fourth fingers (on all the four strings)
- Articulations (legato, staccato)
- Dynamics – (forte, moderate forte, piano)
- Tempo markings – Allegro, Moderato and Andante
Tunes taught at the Novice level
6 – 7 tunes will be taught in this level.
Outcome by the end of the level:
- The learner will be able to read the sheet of music of certain scales at 60 – 80 BPM.
- Will get the basic knowledge to play the instrument on his own.
- Will feel comfortable and start enjoying playing the instrument.
- After completion of this level, with more practice the student can enrol in the beginners’ course to get ready for the initial exams in TCL, LCM or ABSRM etc.,
My child is 7 years old. Is he eligible for the Novice course?
A: No. The child should be at least 8 years and above for starting the Novice course.
Is any prior musical knowledge required for the learner?
A: No.Not required.
3. Will my child be able to appear for a grade exam after this course ?
A: No. The child develops his basic knowledge and gets educated about the basics of instruments in this level. The student is prepared partially for initial level but is only eligible for an examination after his Beginners level.
4. What is the right size of violin for my kid?
A: It depends on the length of the arm. Once the child attends the demo class the teachers can suggest the appropriate size.